Awareness – definition according to dictionary.com.
noun – 1. the state or condition of being aware; having knowledge; consciousness:
As I was going through my personal fitness and nutrition journey and my nutrition training, the skill of becoming more aware surfaced many times.
I’ve found that it’s one of those skills that’s hard to turn off once you get the hang of it. Which can be a positive or a negative!
When we are making changes, we need to learn and experiment to find what works for us.
There are many ways to get to an end result…whether that be a fitness or nutrition goal or any other goal in our lives.
Learning how to become more aware of our bodies, our habits, our environment, etc. is something we can learn to develop.
When we listen to our bodies, we learn more and can adapt our choices to better align our actions so that we eat, live and move better.
Today we are going to focus specifically on a mind & body scan.
As you go through this exercise, take notice of what you discover.
You may or may not be able to do anything about it at that moment or even for awhile, but become aware of what’s going on with your body and treat data that as something you can use later.
How much time you have and where you are will determine how long the will take and how you perform the scan.
The less distractions, the better…but, work with what you have!
You can start from your feet or from your head…whatever works best for you.
Sit or lie down where you can spend 1-5 minutes focusing on your mind & body.
Here are key points to think about as you scan your body.
- Are you in pain? What type of pain?
- How attentive and focused are you? Are you calm and relaxed or fidgety and irritable? Maybe distracted or scattered?
- How’s your breathing?
- Assess your energy level and fatigue. Are you pumped up and ready to tackle anything or do you feel like you’ve been tackled by a pro-lineman? Do you feel alert or groggy?
- How did you sleep? How long did you sleep?
- What about your mobility and muscle tension? Are you flexible/mobile and able to move around as needed? Do you feel tense or relaxed?
- Do your gut check…how’s your digestion?
- Finally, how do you feel overall?
Initially this may seem like a lot to consider each time, but it does get easier as you develop the skill and learn how to focus in on your body.
The data you gather will help you make decisions about what you choose to do going forward as it relates to fitness and nutrition…and possibly other things in your life.
An important part of our coaching program is to look at things as data or information you can use and learn from…not as good or bad. Easier said than done, but give it a shot and go easy on yourself.
Please reach out if you you’d like help figuring out what to do with the data you’ve collected!